Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Thoughts on Syncing
03-30-2014, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2014 04:59 PM by eric.)
Thoughts on Syncing
Recently I’d been approached by a customer who was upset that we weren't syncing data. I wanted to explain that we are planning on syncing data between devices in the future. There are some caveats to syncing.

First, the app will need to be overhauled to support the new interface elements that are available in iOS 7. At the same time this will require me to drop support for older version of iOS. Currently, we support iOS version 4.3.3 and forward. If you’ve already purchased Reef Tank Pro and are stuck on an older iOS version Apple will permit you to download the current version of Reef Tank Pro in the future.

Secondly, the current storage technology that fits the app design well is SQLite. Unfortunately, it is not possible to sync a SQLite database over iCloud. I could update the app to use CoreData and use iCloud, but this would prevent us from being able to present your data from a web browser online.

Thirdly, syncing data will require you to sign up for an account. I’m sure some of you would prefer to keep your data local. That said, having the data on the cloud means your device will need internet in order for you to make log entries. It frustrates me when I use an app and it won’t load because the internet isn’t available. That’s what I want to avoid. It’s possible we could make the syncing optional, however this will mean that I need to write code to support both non-syncing and syncing of data. It makes it more complex. The data in Reef Tank Pro is more complex than Instagram and Snapchat. If we were just posting pictures between devices syncing would be a cinch.

I just wanted to keep you informed that current plans likely include syncing. I want to approach it from the absolute best way possible for everybody. If you have any thoughts or suggestions or if you just have a question about the app, please send me a message via the Reef Tank Pro forums or Facebook!

Stay tuned!

Eric Cosner
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed